The Chase Freedom® is a cash-back card that lets you earn as much as 5% back in selected categories. It is currently one of our picks for Best 0% Interest Credit Cards.
For a similar card that offers 1.5% cash back on every purchase you make, check out the Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM credit card.
Confused about all the different amounts listed on your credit card bill? Read our guide to paying credit cards here.
- Annual Fee $0
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 15 months
- Regular Purchase APR 14.24%-23.24% *Variable
- 5% cash back on rotating categories, up to $1,500 each quarter: January to March is grocery stores, movie theaters, and Starbucks® stores; April to June is restaurants, Bed Bath and Beyond, H&M, & overstock.com; July to September is restaurants and wholesale clubs; October to December is Holiday Shopping and wholesale clubs.
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Signup Bonus $150 cash bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months, $25 after adding an authorized user and making a purchase in 3 months
- Chip Technology Chip-and-Signature
- Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
- Intro Balance Transfer APR 0% for 15 months
- Regular Balance Transfer APR 14.24%-23.24% *Variable
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% *Variable
- Penalty APR See Terms
- Late Fee Up to $35
- Returned Payment Fee Up to $35
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
Zero Liability Protection
Cardholders aren’t held responsible for unauthorized transactions.
Purchases are covered for 120 days against theft or damage, up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
If a purchased item is found being advertised for a lesser price within 90 days, reimbursement may be provided up to $500; limited to $2,500 a year per account.
Extended Warranty Protection
Eligible warranties of 3 years or less can be extended by up to an additional year.
If a merchant won’t take back an item within the first 90 days, reimbursement will be provided to refund eligible items, up to $250 per item; limited to $1,000 a year per account.
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
Provides a number of emergency services, 24/7. Services include sending emergency messages, providing medical and legal referrals, ticket and document location, and translation services.
Travel Accident Insurance
Cardholders are eligible for accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $250,000 on transportation via air, train, bus or cruise transportation purchased with this card.
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance
You will be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip for pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels if your trip is shortened due to sickness, weather, or other eligible conditions.
Lost Luggage Reimbursement
Lost or damaged checked or carry-on bags are covered for up to $3,000 per passenger, for cardholders and their immediate family members.
Roadside Dispatch/Roadside Assistance
Assistance, such as a locksmith, tire change, or towing service, is provided in a roadside emergency for $59.95 per service call. (Additional fees may apply.)
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
Collision and theft damage is covered on most cars in the U.S. and abroad, provided that the cardholder purchases the rental with their card and declines the rental company’s collision insurance.
Read about experiences others have had with this card and leave your own review here.
Submit your review
This is an excellent rewards card, with a pretty nice sign up bonus. I have this card coupled with the Discover It card, and choose which card to use at whichever one gives me the 5% back for that merchant (it is annoying when both cards have the same categories for the same quarter though). Having the Visa logo makes this card more widely accepted. In my experience, Chase does seem to be quite conservative about who they approve and with credit limits, however.