The Discover it® for Students is designed to help young people build credit. Student credit cards are made for people with limited or no credit, providing a way to start building a positive credit history.
Like the Discover it®, the student version comes with an appealing absence of fees and abundance of rewards. It offers 5% cash back on a variety of categories that rotate throughout the year, including gas stations, restaurants, and Amazon.com.
Not only that, Discover will double the cash back you earn in your first year of use. That means you’ll effectively get 10% back on those purchases, and that’s one of the best deals available on any credit card.
The extra benefits are pretty basic for the most part and they might come in useful, like shopping and travel protections. But you’ll also get a $20 annual reward for getting good grades — you’ll need a 3.0 GPA to get that. And you can also check your FICO 8 Credit Score any time you’d like, for free.
Confused about all the different amounts listed on your credit card bill? Read our guide to paying credit cards here.
- Annual Fee $0
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 6 Months
- Regular Purchase APR 14.24%–23.24% Variable
- 5% Cash Back on Rotating Categories: January through March is Gas and Wholesale Clubs; April through June is Grocery Stores; July through September is Restaurants; and October through December is Amazon.com and Wholesale Clubs
- 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- Earn from 5-25% Cash Back when shopping through the Discover Deals online portal
- Rewards can be used directly at Amazon.com
- Signup Bonus Double all cash back rewards earned in the first year
- Chip Technology Chip-and-Signature
- Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
- Intro Balance Transfer APR 10.99% for 6 Months
- Regular Balance Transfer APR 14.24%–23.24% Variable
- Cash Advance APR 26.24% Variable
- Penalty APR None
- Late Fee $0 the first time; up to $37 after that
- Returned Payment Fee Up to $37
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
Cash Back Rewards for Good Grades
Get $20 cash back for every school year in which your GPA is 3.0 or higher. Available for up to 5 years. Cardholders must apply for this credit manually each year.
Free FICO® Credit Score
View your FICO score any time you’d like at no cost and without hurting your credit score. Based on your TransUnion credit report.
Cash At Checkout
When shopping at participating locations, you can get cash back immediately by charging an additional amount over your purchase.
Refer a Friend for Cash Back
Get $50 cash back for every friend who successfully applies for a card using your referral link. Up to 10 per year.
If you find an item you bought being advertised for a lesser price within 90 days of purchase, you can be reimbursed for the difference.
Personalize Your Card
Choose from a number of different designs to personalize your card, including several chrome colors, a variety of designs, and a wide selection of NHL team logos.
Pay up until Midnight
You have up until midnight of the due date to pay your bill, online or by phone.
Temporarily Freeze Your Account
Freeze your account when you lose your card, and unfreeze it when you find it. Use the Freeze button on the Discover website or mobile app, or call customer service.
Free overnight shipping in the U.S. if you need your card replaced.
Spend Analyzer Financial Tool
Use the Spend Analyzer tool to view your purchases by category and get insights into your spending habits.
$0 Fraud Liability Guarantee
Cardholders are not held responsible for unauthorized purchases on this card.
Your card account will be monitored 24/7 for suspicious activity.
Free Social Security Number Alerts
Get alerts if your SSN is found on any thousands of risky websites.