Discover it® is one of the main credit cards from Discover. Its most appealing features are the scarcity of fees and the abundance of rewards.
New cardmembers get double cash back on earned rewards at the end of their first year.
Confused about all the different amounts listed on your credit card bill? Read our guide to paying credit cards here.
- Annual Fee $0
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 14 Months
- Regular Purchase APR 11.74%–23.74% Variable
- 5% Cash Back on Rotating Categories: January through March is Gas and Ground Transportation; April through June is Food & Fun; July through September is Summer Spruce Up & More; and October through December is Holiday Shopping & More
- 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- Earn 5-20% Cash Back when shopping through the Discover Deals market
- Discover will double your rewards after the first year of use
- Rewards can be used directly at Amazon.com
- Signup Bonus New cardmembers only - Double cash back earned at the end of the first year
- Chip Technology Chip-and-Signature
- Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
- Intro Balance Transfer APR 0% for 14 Months
- Regular Balance Transfer APR 11.74%–23.74% Variable
- Cash Advance APR 25.74% Variable
- Penalty APR None
- Late Fee $0 the first time; up to $35 after that
- Returned Payment Fee Up to $35
Check your card's Guide to Benefits to learn the specific benefits your card offers and how to access them. Learn more about credit card benefits here.
Free FICO® Credit Score
View your FICO score any time you’d like at no cost and without hurting your credit score. Based on your TransUnion credit report.
Personalize Your Card
Choose from a number of different designs to personalize your card, including several chrome colors, a variety of designs, and a wide selection of NHL team logos.
Pay up until Midnight
You have up until midnight of the due date to pay your bill, online or by phone.
Temporarily Freeze Your Account
Freeze your account when you lose your card, and unfreeze it when you find it. Use the Freeze button on the Discover website or mobile app, or call customer service.
Free overnight shipping in the U.S. if you need your card replaced.
Spend Analyzer Financial Tool
Use the Spend Analyzer tool to view your purchases by category and get insights into your spending habits.
$0 Fraud Liability Guarantee
Cardholders are not held responsible for unauthorized purchases on this card.
Provides coverage against damage or theft, up to $500 per eligible item.
If you find an item you bought being advertised for a lesser price within 90 days of purchase, you can be reimbursed for the difference.
Extended Product Warranty
Adds up to 1 year to a manufacturer’s warranty of 3 years or less.
Items can be returned even if the manufacturer won’t take them back, up to $500 and for up to 90 days after the date of purchase.
Cash At Checkout
When shopping at participating locations, you can get cash back immediately by charging an additional amount over your purchase.
Auto Rental Insurance
Covers rented vehicles against collision damage when the car rental company’s insurance is declined.
Flight Accident Insurance
You and your family are automatically covered on airline flights, up to $500,000.
Read about experiences others have had with this card and leave your own review here.
Submit your review
This is definitely a great card to start with, as they do seem to be fairly generous in approving those who are new to credit cards. The rewards are great, and occasionally they do throw in a few extra ways to earn a little bonus cash back aside from the quarterly 5% categories. They also forgive you for the first time you make a late payment, so this gives you a chance to learn how to use a credit card responsibly without being penalized for the first time you slip up.
If you later want to request a credit limit increase, you can easily do so online, and it might only require a soft pull. If they do require a hard pull, they will at least tell you and give you a chance to back out if you don't wish to proceed in that case.
One down side is definitely the acceptance rate. Discover is rarely accepted internationally, despite Discover boasting no foreign transaction fees.
The 5% cash back feature of this card is fantastic!